Whether it is winter and raining in the Pacific Northwest, blistering hot in Singapore or warm in Chile, the one constant is the cooling presence of Blueberries, aka Blues. Blues are shipped from the Northern and Southern Hemispheres with opposite growing seasons allowing for the Blues to be available year round! This year we are seeing, for the first time, Southern Hemisphere companies that are expanding into the Pacific Northwest to provide their customers with fresh deliveries when their local product is out of season.
Blueberries are truly a super fruit; a few quick facts:
- Blues contain a plant compound called anthocyanin. This gives blueberries both their blue color and many of their health benefits.
- Blues can help heart health, bone strength, skin health, blood pressure, diabetes management, cancer prevention, and mental health.
- One cup of blues provides 24 percent of a person recommended daily allowance of vitamin C.
- They are also about 85% water, and an entire cup contains only 84 calories.
- Blues are believed to have one of the highest antioxidant levels of all common fruits and vegetables but lowest in grams of carbohydrates.
- Regular blues intake is tied to lower blood pressure in numerous studies
So why wouldn’t you pick up a handful, grab a cup full, add them to smoothies, and eat them daily? Blues are that good and that good for you!